JD Ryznar is a Hollywood writer. He knows very little about music, but enjoys imagining elaborate scenarios inspired by popular songs.
David B Lyons is a Hollywood Location Manager. He knows a little about music, but feels the need to compartmentalize genres, then rank them.
Hollywood Steve Huey is a former staff writer for Allmusic.com, a former talking head for VH1, and currently the only unmarried man on this podcast.
Hunter Stair is from Flint, MI.
The guys talk about the best (worst?) songs about the occult that do not rock.
Yacht Rock Bone Throw: “O.C.O.E. (Official Cat of the Eighties)” by Pages (Amazon)
- “I can’t believe it’s not Danner”
- SiriusXM Yacht Rock
- “Who’s Right Who’s Wrong” by Pages
- Solo Donald Fagen album
- Is Steely Dan Yacht Rock?
- Album “Gaucho” by Steely Dan (a Yacht Rock album)
- Doobie-esque (The Doobie Bounce)
- Jay “Fucking” Graydon (the guitar solo in “Peg” by Steely Dan) (Also: Jay Peg)
- Jeff Porcaro “died in his garden”
- Richard Page and Steve George; their future band Mr. Mister
- “Broken Wings” by Mr. Mister (Divorcecore)
- “Kyrie” by Mr. Mister (it means “Lord Have Mercy”)
- Wilson Phillips should be Wilsons Phillip
- Pages wrote a song for America in 1980 called “I Do Believe in You”
- Russ Ballard wrote the song before that, called “I Don’t Believe in Miracles”
East Wickening must have lyrics about Satan, witchcraft, Paganism, the occult or something of that ilk. But the sound of the music must be limp and folky, illustrating a true disconnect with the frightening lyrics.
- Wiccan religion
- Pagan Scum Records
- Gwar, “Hippies love reggae and are bad at it”
- Gaia, Vegan recipe blog
- Omnia is from the Netherlands
- Video for “Earth Warrior”
- Japanese whale slaughtering
- Earth Liberation Front (ELF burned down building at Michigan State)
- Album “Songs for the Old Religion” by Gwydion Pendderwen (album cover)
- Keebler Elves
- Gwydion Pendderwen’s Wikipedia page
- Definitions of Feri
- “Game of Thrones”
- Society of Creative Anachronism
- Album “666” by Aphrodite’s Child
- Vangelis, who composed “Chariots of Fire”
- Iron Maiden made the Book of Revelations rock
- “The Four Horsemen” by Metallica
- J.D.’s Giorgio Moroder impression
- “The second horse is red, the third one is a blue ...”
- Evil Twin (bad song that has same name as good song)
- “One Tin Soldier” by Coven
- Album “Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reap Souls”
- “Satanic Mass” by Coven
- “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane
- White power
- Donald Trump
- Jill Stein
- Yacht Rock video series
- Hosts: JD Ryznar (Twitter), “Hollywood” Steve Huey (Twitter), David Lyons (Twitter), Hunter Stair (Twitter)
- Yacht Rock on Twitter; Yacht Rock on Facebook; Beyond Yacht Rock on iTunes; Yacht Rock website